How to Come to Terms With Social Media
Social Media is a fascinating tool and shouldn’t make people ‘afraid’, but evidently, it does. Maybe it’s because something that they have always done now has a name, but it is truly nothing to be afraid of. This article hopes to help you come to terms with what it can do for you.
- Understand the difference between strategy and tactics. You don’t want to stop what you are doing in other types of communication and interaction, but use it in conjunction with other tools.
- Know your audience. Different types of media will attract different audience. Use that to your advantage. Find out what your media of choice offers and take advantage of it.
- Use different types. Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, MySpace, and many other types draw in different ‘crowds’. Use that.
- Choose quality over quantity. There are a lot of platforms, communities and tools available. Don’t allow it to overwhelm you. Focus on what will cater to your audience. Also, just because you have a lot of followers doesn’t mean anything. How much interaction is there?
- Create, or find, compelling content to share. Social media allows people to share much more easily. Especially if you have an application or plug-in to use that facilitates it.
- Create content that will encourage people to think, feel – and respond.
- Work towards inspiring your audience to share and discuss.
- Invest your time and concentrate on building relationships.
- Think individual vs. collective. Even though you are generally working with an audience of more than one, treat each one like they matter. Speak to the individual.
- Start small. If you do too much too quickly, you will become overwhelmed and simply give up. Grow into your social media campaign.
- How to Write a Better Twitter Headline
- How to Develop a Strategic Social Media Program for Business
- How to Use Social Media to Market Your Business
- How to Advertise Within Social Networking Communities
Sources and Citations
- The idea for this article came from Sarah Brueck Nichols
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Come to Terms With Social Media. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.